April 9, 2011

The Sheila E look

Every once in awhile i get tired of fighting my perfectly '80s hair and just go for it. I went to the pool the night before and must have slept on my right side because I woke up with my hair looking like this. So instead of fighting it I secured it with pins and went on my way. It was so fun to wear my hair differently. 

I was instantly reminded of Sheila E, who was the percussionist for Prince at the height of his career. I have no clue how I can even remember her because I would have been so young, but she must have made an impression on me. 

She has amazing beats, a style all her own, and competed in a field dominated by men at the time. Just wearing my hair like her made me feel empowered. Here's to you, Sheila E, you still kick ass!
                                                                                    

1 comment: